Sunday, January 29, 2017

Moorpark Zoo

In December we finally got to visit the Moorpark Zoo with our homeschool group. I've been meaning to get over there and check it out but have not had the opportunity to do so yet. Moorpark Junior College is one of two colleges/universities in the USA that has a teaching zoo on campus. It's actually quite difficult to get in to the program at Moorpark College. It's based off a lottery system and students wait years before getting in.




The day started off with a show of various animals from birds to reptiles. The students do a pretty good job but as I mentioned before it's a training zoo so they are learning as they go.




We then walked around the zoo and visited all the different exhibits. I am not a fan of animals to say the least but I often feel sorry to see these animals caged up. In this case though many of these creatures have been injured and are at the zoo because they wouldn't survive in the wild. They also have several animals which were confiscated from people who had them as pets. The zoo also gets transfers from other zoos. It was a fun little field trip and it was also nice to be on the campus of Moorpark College. It's a beautiful campus...who knows maybe one day I'll attend there and get my AA degree! I guarantee you though I will not be applying for the zoo program!!

No comments: